COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT COORDINATOR
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION:
RYSE seeks a Community Engagement Coordinator to provide guidance and planning support relating to volunteer opportunities within the organization and in the community. This position is responsible for two areas within the program; mentoring youth who are experiencing homelessness to engage in community service and paid work experience and managing on site volunteers by implementing the RYSE volunteer program, enabling it to better serve our youth and our community. This includes developing appropriate materials, recruiting, and managing volunteers, and training the site’s staff as appropriate.
- Model positive life skills and behaviors to youth who have experienced trauma and homelessness.
- Mentor young adults to build social connectedness through community service events and paid internships within the community
- Encourage young adults to set and work towards achieving personal, employment, and educational goals.
- Provide support for youth on the work site when needed.
- Assist with transportation to appointments when needed.
- Expand existing volunteer program for recruiting and managing volunteers.
- Assist in developing volunteer program materials such as a policy and procedure manual; volunteer position descriptions; promotional fliers or brochures; and screening, training, and evaluation tools.
- Recruit volunteers. Outreach methods include extensive networking; presentations to faith, business, and/or community groups; staffing information booths at community events; and utilizing the media.
- Screen volunteers as necessary; procedures might include interviews, reference checks, and criminal background checks.
- Develop and facilitate orientation and training for volunteers.
- Supervise volunteers; develop and implement recognition activities for volunteers such as special events, awards, etc.
- Maintain accurate records of volunteer participation.
- Plan and participate in on site community service events, other service and volunteer projects as specified by supervisor.
- Ability to take initiative, problem solve, and work independently to be able to develop and implement the volunteer program.
- Skilled at building interpersonal relationships, working effectively as part of a team, and managing youth and volunteers.
- Strong verbal skills, to communicate effectively with staff, volunteers, and community groups.
- Skilled at written communication, developing program materials and reports.
- Committed to the concept of volunteerism and to making a difference in the community.
- Basic computer literacy, to be able to produce program materials and track volunteer hours.
- Able to react to change productively and to handle other tasks as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in social services or related field.
- Two years of experience working in volunteer coordination or social services, preferred working with youth.
- Must be willing to develop or possess working knowledge of trauma-informed care and positive youth development.
- Ability to perform responsible work involving the use of independent judgment and personal initiative.
- Able to work in a diverse setting with people of all backgrounds, culture, and orientation.
- Ability to work effectively and exhibit professional work ethics, working cooperatively and respectfully with co-workers, administration, and other stakeholders within the community.
- Demonstrated leadership and problem solving abilities, training skills, creativity, and public speaking.
- Ability to provide quality trauma-informed services in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to (re) prioritize and multi-task is a must.
- Proficient in use of computer technology primarily Microsoft WORD & EXCEL.
- Ability to complete a variety of daily, bi-weekly, and monthly documentation, as well as data collection.
- Ability to respond efficiently and effectively in emergency situations.
- Understand and maintain confidentiality of client information, perform general clerical duties including recordkeeping and filing.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and as a part of an interdisciplinary team.
- Must have reliable vehicle, relevant auto insurance, a clean driving record, valid driver’s license and willing to drive vehicle for job related tasks.
- Maintain certification in CPR & First Aid.
- We believe in second chances. Individuals with challenging backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Employment is subject to required clearances which include fingerprinting, background checks, and drug testing.
Job Type: Full-time, includes evening and weekend hours.
Salary: $45,000 – $50,000 /year